Brandon Lutheran History Briefs

1871 - Congregation was chartered as the Splitrock Congregation

1871 - Land for current cemetery donated to the congregation

1876 - First confirmation class consisted of 8 members

1880 - Established two-month parochial school

1883 - First church built on frame construction

1887 - Ladies Aid organized

1907 - Parish connection with St. Olaf Congregation in Sioux Falls terminated

1908 - Parsonage built

1915 - English language first used in services

1921 - 50th Anniversary

1931 - Cornerstone laid for new church building (located next to current elementary school)

1946 - 75th Anniversary

1951 - Springdale Congregation withdrew from the parish

1957 - Valley Springs Congregation withdrew from the parish, leaving the present two congregations

1960 - Second pastor was hired

1961 - Church sold to Brandon School District – Land purchased for new building

1963 - Cornerstone laying for new building (Approximate cost $222,800)

1964 - First church service in present building

1968 - Parsonage sold

1971 - Centennial Year celebration

1972 - Rented Fellowship Hall to school district

1978 - A new Tracker pipe organ was purchased

1981 - Completed work on the picnic shelter

1981 - New organ installation completed

1984 - 21/2 additional acres purchased for cemetery

1991 - Church addition was completed (Approximate cost $911,800)

1996 - 125th Anniversary

2001 - 1876 new members, 458 family units
 
2007 - September 7th, Dedication of New Sanctuary
 
 


Copyright © 2017  Brandon Lutheran Church • Brandon, SD • 605-582-3401